Join me and many others in fighting world hunger this Thanksgiving by saving your spare change between September 1st and Thanksgiving Day. The money collected will be donated to The World Food Program USA to provide meals to impoverished school children.
The School Feeding Program feeds over 20 million children each day, which is only a fraction of the vast need. Each nutritionally balanced meal is only 25 cents. That means when you spent $20.00 on sushi you could have fed 80 children. Shocking huh!
1. 870 million people do not have enough food to eat
2. 98% of the worlds undernourished people live in developing countries
3. Asia and the Pacific have the highest number of hungry comprising 578 million people, followed by Sub-Saharan Africa with 239 million people, and then Latin America and the Caribbean with 53 million people
4. Malnutrition is the key factor contributing to one-third of all global deaths (2.6 million per year)
5. Every 10 seconds, a child dies from hunger related diseases.
Begin by choosing a meaningful cup and start emptying your jingling pockets and bulging wallets into it. Take a look at some of last year’s participating cups.
Search under your couch cushions for all of the spare change you can find and send your little children on a quest to find every lost coin hiding in your home and car.
Dig out your old purses and rescue the loose change that is waiting patiently at the bottom, to be used for a wise purpose.
Spread the word that we can make a difference this Thanksgiving; a holiday in which we celebrate abundance and gratitude. Last year we collected close to $5000.00 which provided 20,000 meals to school children.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.
Stay tuned for logistical information. For now, choose your cup and start filling it with change. Until next time…
May you find your cup half full 🙂